Executive Director, VALUE EVIDENCE
You give a little love and it all comes back you- Bugsy Malone
Areas of Expertise
- Value, access and evidence generation strategy
- Health economics
- Patient-reported outcomes
- Clinical trials
- Early pipeline commercial and clinical development strategy
Kate has over 20 years’ experience in the healthcare field in Europe and the US. She joins AESARA from AbbVie, where she most recently led the global HEOR team supporting AbbVie’s Toxin Therapeutic & Eyecare portfolios, having previously held leadership positions in the Neuroscience & Gastrointestinal therapeutic areas. Before joining AbbVie, Kate held positions of increasing responsibility in HEOR at Boehringer Ingelheim, within both the US and UK affiliates. Prior to joining the pharmaceutical industry, Kate worked as a Technical Analyst at the UK’s National Institute for Health & Care Excellence. She began her career in employee benefits consulting, where her work on international medical insurance plan design inspired her to go back to school and study health economics.
Kate has a strategic mindset, coupled with strong analytical skills in the key HEOR disciplines of real-world evidence, economic modeling and patient-reported outcomes. She enjoys developing value and access strategies at all stages of the product lifecycle and fostering alignment across multi-disciplinary teams to achieve a common goal. Her career has spanned a broad range of therapeutic areas including immunology, oncology, neuroscience, respiratory, cardiovascular and diabetes.
- Led development of early Global Value Stories and evidence maps facilitating cross-functional alignment on value proposition and evidence strategy for phase 2 & 3 programs
- Leveraged early economic modelling and RWE to influence commercialization strategies for pipeline assets to focus on populations with greater value potential
- Pioneered resource-efficient process for hypothesis generation, feasibility assessment and recurrent queries for in-line brands, utilizing interactive RWE dashboards
- Led several real-world research collaborations with large US health plans resulting in actionable insights to improve patient care, multiple publications and award-winning abstracts
- Brenner DM, Sayuk GS, Abel JL, Burslem K. Improved work productivity and health-related quality of life in patients with irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea receiving eluxadoline following inadequate response to loperamide. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2021 Apr;27(4):469-477.
- Anstee QM, Shah D, Burslem K, et al. Deleterious impact of advanced nonalcoholic steatohepatitis on multiple patient-relevant outcomes: an international, cross-sectional, real-world study [DDW abstract Mo1480]. Gastroenterology. 2020;158(6 suppl 1). One of five posters recognized as a conference highlight in Gastroenterology & Hepatology.
- Shah D, Niu X, Doshi JA, Marcus SC, Rodriguez G, Tapper EB. Identification of significant fibrosis in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis using non-invasive tests: determination of optimal thresholds based on cross-sectional analyses of patients screened for a phase 3 randomized controlled trial [DDW abstract Mo1445]. Gastroenterology. 2020;158(6 suppl 1). One of five posters recognized as a conference highlight in Gastroenterology & Hepatology.
- Graham J, Earnshaw S, Burslem K, Lim J. Budget Impact Analysis of Afatinib for First-Line Treatment of Patients with Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer with Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Exon 19 Deletions or Exon 21 Substitution Mutations in a U.S. Health Plan. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2018 Jun;24(6):544-553.
- Rentz, A.M., Skalicky, A.M., Burslem, K. et al. The content validity of the PSS in patients with plaque psoriasis. J Patient Rep Outcomes 2017 1: 4.
- Schwab P, Dhamane AD, Hopson SD, Moretz C, Annavarapu S, Burslem K, Renda A, Kaila S. Impact of comorbid conditions in COPD patients on health care resource utilization and costs in a predominantly Medicare population. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2017 Feb 23;12:735-744.
- Papp KA, Blauvelt A, Bukhalo M, Gooderham M, Lacour J, Menter A, Philipp S, Sofen H, Tyring S, Berner B, Bennett N, Burslem K, Flack M, Scholl P, Padula S. Selective blockade of IL-23p19 with BI 655066 is associated with significant improvement in QoL outcomes compared with ustekinumab in patients with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis. 74th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), Washington DC. March 2016.
- Moretz C, Zhou Y, Dhamane AD, Burslem K, Saverno K, Jain G, Devercelli G, Kaila S, Ellis JJ, Hernandez G, Renda A. Development and Validation of a Predictive Model to Identify Individuals Likely to Have Undiagnosed Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Using an Administrative Claims Database. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2015 Dec; 21(12):1149-59.
- Dhamane AD, Moretz C, Zhou Y, Burslem K, Saverno K, Jain G, Renda A, Kaila S. COPD exacerbation frequency and its association with health care resource utilization and costs. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2015 Dec 3;10:2609-18.
- Schwab P, Hopson S, Kaila S, Dhamane A, Moretz C, Burslem K, Jain G, Renda A. Association Between Nonadherence to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Maintenance Medications and Medications for Other Chronic Conditions. AMCP 27th Annual Meeting and Expo. San Diego, California. April 2014. Awarded Gold Medal.
- Schwab P, Hopson S, Kaila S, Dhamane A, Moretz C, Burslem K, Jain G, Renda A. Association Between Comorbidities and Hospitalizations Among Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). AMCP 27th Annual Meeting and Expo. San Diego, California. April 2014. Awarded Gold Medal.
- Vietri J, Burslem K, Su J. Poor asthma control among US workers: health-related quality of life, work impairment, and health care use. J Occup Environ Med. 2014 Apr;56(4):425-30.
- Yi Y, Philips Z, Bergman G, Burslem K. Economic models in type 2 diabetes. Curr Med Res Opin. 2010 Sep;26(9):2105-18.
- Wee B, Adams A, Thompson K, Percival F, Burslem K, Jobanputra M. How much does it cost a specialist palliative care unit to manage constipation in patients receiving opioid therapy? J Pain Symptom Manage. 2010 Apr;39(4):644-54.
- Lenox-Smith A, Greenstreet L, Burslem K, Knight C. Cost effectiveness of venlafaxine compared with generic fluoxetine or generic amitriptyline in major depressive disorder in the UK. Clin Drug Investig. 2009;29(3):173-84.
- MSc Health Policy, Planning & Financing, London School of Economics & London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (2005)
- BSc (Hons) International Business & Modern Languages, University of Aston (1998)
For ancient Greeks, epsilon represented quintessence, or the essential defining quality of an object or a substance. In health economics, we strive to understand and quantify the quintessence of health technologies and to translate it into to value for patients, healthcare providers and payers.